سطح متوسط – مکالمه شماره 5
Security: Excuse me. Do you have any keys or money in your pockets?
Passenger: No. No. I think I’ve taken everything out.
Security: Okay. Go ahead and walk through the body scanner.
Passenger: Will I feel anything?
Security: No sir. Just walk through and keep your hands in the air.
Passenger: Okay, huh?
[ Security alarm goes off . . . ]
Security: We need to do some additional screening. Sorry, sir. Please come this way. [What? Did I . . . Did you find something?] Relax sir. Okay? I’m going to open your carry-on bag. As I’m going through it, please do not try to touch it. [Okay.] Let’s see now. Hmmm. First of all, sir, you can’t take any liquids like this bottled water past this point.
Passenger: Ah. Well, I really can’t drink any other kind of water. Sierra Springs is the only bottled water I drink.
Security: Sorry sir. [Ah . . . ] And, sir. What’s this? [What?] No, sir, you cannot bring a lighter on the plane.
Passenger: But I don’t smoke. I mean . . . [You STILL can’t bring it on the plane.] But I have it just in case of emergencies. You know, as an emergency fire starter in case the plane crashes into a dark forest.
Security: Sir. You’ll have to leave that here. What’s this?
Passenger: Well . . .Oh. That’s my pocket knife.
Security: A pocket knife? It’s almost a foot long!
Passenger: Well, it’s a special knife given to me by my grandfather, but I only use it to peel apples and fruit. You know . . . . Things like that.
Security: Sir. I’m sorry, but you can’t take that on the plane. In fact, do you have any other prohibited items in your bag? [Well, I don’t . . .] I mean, didn’t you read the sign back there explaining all of the items that were not allowed on board?
Passenger: Well, I started to read it, and I then got a little distracted.
Security: A little? Sir. How many times have you flown on an airplane?
Passenger: Uh, it has been a while. I think the last time I traveled by plane was about, uh, 1960 . . .
Security: Sir. Why don’t you come with me? [WHAT?] I think my supervisor would like to ask you a few questions.
Passenger: Oh, no!
- additional (adjective): more
– Any additional bags will cost you $50 to take on your trip.
- peel (verb): remove the skin of fruit or vegetables
– I usually peel the skin off apples because my kids don’t like to eat it.
- prohibited (adjective): not permitted or allowed
– Weapons of any kind are prohibited on the plane.
- item (noun): thing
– Please place small items under your seat on the airplane.
- distracted (adjective): not paying attention
– The woman was distracted by her cell phone and crashed into the car in front of her.
- supervisor (noun): a person in charge, manager
– Excuse me. I want to talk to your supervisor about my missing bag.